War Artisan's Paper ships

I'm no stranger to making stuff out of paper (I do it for a living actually). Generally if I'm doing wargame stuff with paper, it's something I've designed myself. However, I've seen War Artisan's paper ships pop up on TMP a few times, I even downloaded the free 1/900 64 gun ship from his site a while ago but have never got around to making it up.

Untill now...
 
These kits are small but fairly simple in design (proving the maxim that the best ideas are often the simplest). I toyed with the idea of having a crack at a version of my own but after making up the free kit I have decided that it's unnecessary as these kits are superb.
 
I've added some paint and washes over the original card illustrations.
 
 I've followed the instructions as closely as possible, the only major deviation is the used of trimmed toothpicks for all the masts and recycled paperclips for the yards etc. I'm also using a nylon coated stainless steel jewellery wire for the rigging.
My bases use crumpled copy paper, glued with PVA to a card base to give a subtle 3D wave effect after painting.
The good news is that once I'm finished making these French and Spanish hull versions I will be paying for the 90 and 74 gun versions.

Comments

  1. Wow, those look good! However, I suspect that the rigging is a fair amount of work, even if it is cheap :-) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the rigging took a couple of hours, but you're always waiting for glue to dry.

      Delete
  2. Nice ships and very convincing water! What wargame rules do you use with these ships?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using Beat to Quarters.

      Delete
    2. Do you have a link to the rule book?

      Delete
    3. Try Here:
      https://documents.pub/document/beat-to-quarters.html

      Delete
  3. Hi, I was thinking of having a go at these myself. What gauge wire did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wire doesn't state a gauge, it's "impex tiger tail nylon coated stainless steel jewellery wire".

      Delete
  4. What kind of glue are you using? I use a glue stick for most of the poet and I'm trying elders rubber cement for the rest but not so sure it's going to work

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to say paper not poet and elmers not elders lol crazy AC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment