First sculpting attempts

Not posted for a while (I've been gaming online a bit of late), I must admit the painting of rows and rows of French Line have become a bit of a chore. I decided that the perfect antidote to repetitive painting was to try my hand at a bit of sculpting using Green Stuff or Kneadatite, how hard can it be right?
It turns out that it is hard, very.
I spent a lot of time lurking on forums, checking out other peoples sculpts and/or tutorials before deciding to take the plunge. I bought all of the necessary materials off of evilbay which amounted to:

  1. 12 inches of Green Stuff (or GS)
  2. Set of 12 sculpting tools
  3. 10 x 20mm corks
  4. 28 guage copper wire for making armatures
All of those items weighed in at about £15, which I thought was quite reasonable. I wasn't sure if 12" of GS would be enough, as i happens it was plenty. I wasn't sure if 12 sculpting tools would be enough, it was in fact too many as I find I'm only actually using about 2 or 3 of them and my trusty scalpel. Ten corks are plenty as they can be reused and the spool of wire I have should last about 2 life times.
I found GS quite easy to work with apart from one major element. Despite the fact that it is well documented throughout the interwebs, I was surprised at just how sticky this stuff is. The advice about having wet fingers and tools is about the best you can get, second only to the one about waiting a while after mixing a fresh batch as it is at it's stickiest at this point. I created myself a figure scale using some freely available Andrew Loomis proportion illustrations herehere and here. Printed them on a sheet at various scales, very useful for making the armatures etc.
I rushed my first couple of sculpts, I tried to do too much, too soon (like a giddy schoolgirl). It also means there are no WIP shots just the finished article.
First attempt was a 28mm Knight (of no particular era). I chose a knight specifically as I could avoid sculpting fingers and face thanks to a closed Helm and mitted mail gloves. Shield, sword and scabbard are made from some plasticard scraps I had.
I'm legally obliged to say that the next sculpt is only loosely based on the wife as she has been constantly asking me if her arse is really that big (to all you men out there just starting out in a relationship with a woman, the answer should always be NO to that particular question).
This is therefore a 54mm sculpt of a 'generic' female figure, a first attempt at hands, hair and face and a massive learning experience.
I'm happy with the result of my first attempts and all painting has been put on hold so I can scratch my sculpting itch. I am currently working on a series of six 28mm superhero sculpts, I'm taking my time and will provide some WIP shots soon.
I've added my figure scale chart incase anyone finds it of use. Remember to print it at 100%.

Comments

  1. These are very impressive. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a first time great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are your first attempts at sculpting!!!!?
    All I can say is wow!! Keep going with it...you´ve obviusly got talent.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting to read about your sculpting Geoff.
    I've tried a bit with SuperSculpey and see some MaKers doing amazing things with Aves Epoxy that I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment