Friday, 26 April 2013

Salute and some 6mm Sci-fi

Broke my Salute cherry this year. I went with my youngest son and a good time was had by all. Unfortunately, young boys lack the stamina to walk that big hall all day and his energy magically disappeared once all the cash was spent.
I saw some amazing stuff, I made a conscious decision not to take any photos (apart from one of my son and a Stormtrooper) as I wanted to concentrate on the shopping experience.
I've been itching to buy some 6mm stuff for a while and Salute was the perfect excuse.
My recent Starship gaming using GZG's Full Thrust rules and miniatures means I've been spending a fair bit of time drooling over Mr Tuffley's 6mm Dirtside and Future Wars range. So, after queuing for a ridiculous amount of time my first port of call was the GZG stand, after shaking Jon by the hand and saying hello, this is what I purchased.
Each pack cost £3, so £30 spent for two small starter armies so that son No.2 and I can have a battle. Both armies get infantry, APcs, tanks, walkers/mechs and some VTOL transport. The six legged Spider Mechs are actually GZGs 15mm Spider Drones but scale up nicely.
The only complaint I have is with both sets of VTOLs. The casts were a bit ropey and as the problems were duplicated on each copy each model I can only guess that the mold is nearing the end of it's useful life. Still, it gives me a good excuse to do a bit of Greenstuff converting.

I'm going to use a Green and Tan paint scheme for each army as an homage to the plastic army men battles I've had on the carpet in the past (Carpet General wasn't a name I just plucked from thin air you know).
So here are some test paints for what will eventually become 'The Magnolian Empire' (Tans) and 'The Malachite Confederacy' (Greens).
I also scored some 6mm buildings from the excellent Brigade Models who have an excellent 6mm range of its own which I shall be buying a few bits from in the near future (just don't tell SWMBO).
I'll post some pics of the finished armies and buildings and maybe an AAR as soon as I'm able.

5 comments:

  1. 6mm.
    Geoff, 6mm!
    Did you have your eyes replaced by bionics!
    6mm!!!!
    I find I'm doing models larger and larger, 1/16 scale. These would just get stuck under my fingernails!
    All said, this is stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a light magnifier my friend?

      Delete
  2. can you tell me those tan tank/apcs that you got 4 of..what are their names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry bought at show and the GZG site is terrible for having no pictures, so I can't help I'm afraid.

      Delete