Paper Napoleonic battalions

In my day job I make stuff out of card. Mostly promotional stuff, point-of-sale and packaging. So I frequent the paper modelling section of TMP a bit and like to see and even try out other people's creations. There are lots of paper armies freely available on the internet and most of those are of the 2d stand-up variety. There are some really nice examples out there including the frankly bonkers amount of stuff at Junior General.
I had an idea to create Napoleonic battalions of a small scale (10mm) as 3D boxes rather than 2D cutouts and here are the results to date.
 British in line, column and square
 Card flags inserted into slots on the top
 Font and side illustrations
 The French in line, column and square
 The French advance in line (it did happen!)
 The French advance in column (thats more like it)

The boxes are actually about 12mm in height. The other dimensions, frontage and depth are still a work in progress as I'm not working to any rule set in particular. Line and column battalions are 2 to an A4/Letter sheet. Battalions in square are a bit more complex and are only one to a sheet. They can be scaled up or down for different gaming scales although I'd imagine they are less impressive at the larger sizes.


Once there are a few on the table they look quite convincing (I'm biased obviously). Below is an enlargement of the individual troop illustrations. I can appreciate that some purists will find errors in uniform and kit but they were never meant to be seen at this size.

Finally I have included a sample of the British in line:

and the French in column for people to try:

Please remember to click the image and then right click and select 'save image' to download and print.

Comments

  1. very nice indeed, I like the concept. The product that I could really go for would be various elements that I could buy to try out various rule sets. The ruleset on my desk at the moment is Field of Glory Napoleonic and such blocks would be most ufeful; especially if they were of a size to glue around a foam board or balsa core.
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments guys, Graham see latest post for a more flexible incarnation of this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. DO you have the Cavalry?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment